Monday, January 23, 2012

I keep telling myself that it'll be fine;

It's my birthday.

Well, technically, it isn't anymore, but since I haven't gone to sleep and woken up yet, my world says that it still counts.

On the first morning of my twentieth year on the planet Earth, I woke up at 11:20, I had a brief discussion with my roommate Jordan about why I wasn't in class, I thanked Jesus for letting me wake up for the first morning of my twentieth year, I walked downstairs switched over my laundry, I flat ironed my hair and I put on a pretty dress and some eyeliner. I walked to the mailroom and I brought back 11 packages. I thought all of them were birthday gifts but actually most of them were text books. Not that I am complaining, because I was fortunate enough to receive:

102 facebook wall posts
17 text messages
2 answered phone calls
6 very sweet voicemails
3 serenades
1 floral arrangement from my uncle
a Kindle(!!!!)
a birthday cake from my mother
a Starbucks run with a lovely friend
a cupcake shaped chalk board/chalk/eraser
12 cupcakes and a very thoughtful card hand-delivered by a boy who I wish I could will myself to be attracted to
and all sorts of other blessings.

My re-entry to the blogosphere seems and feels and is extremely sporadic. A dear friend of mine sent me a link to a blog post she wrote today. Viewing her post tag-teamed with the fact of my birthday to create this intense nostalgia that inevitably lead me to one possible course of action: blog. And so. I am.

In the nearly two years since I have ventured into the little corner of the world reserved only for me, a few dear friends, and our Deep and Important sixteen-year-old musings, and a lot has changed. I went abroad! I overcame an eating disorder! I feel in real life capital L-O-V-E with a boy who honestly and constantly and valiantly loved me back! I got my first job as a barista at Starbucks! I graduated high school! I had my heart broken. I started college. I went through a (thankfully brief) Dark and Wild Phase. I got over it. I maybe did not get over him, but I fell in love again: with my Savior. Is that the corniest thing I've ever said? Yes, okay, maybe, but it's true. So that's where I've been.

And where am I at? My beloved WoCo-> a very green place that I am glad to call home #2, which surrounds me with beautiful people and circumstances that have challenged an educated me. I've been trying real hard to be both stronger and lighter, though my definitions of those two words have changed considerably along with everything else. More on that later, maybe.

you can't make everybody happy all of the time.

No comments: